A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families..... Psalms 68:5-6

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Touching

If you've been reading for very long then you know Desi has a "thing" about touching. She hasn't been receptive to physical affection until lately (Thank God!!!!) Well, something has started happening over the last week that I think deserves to be talked about.

Along with Desi sitting by me on the couch and snuggling, she has also started to put her face against mine. She holds it there for quite a while and then she's off to play again. Then there's this thing she does that has really set my whole "parenting adopted children" mind in gear. Desi likes to comb/brush my hair. Lately she has stopped her brushing long enough to pull the back of my shirt up and press her face and upper body against my bare back. When I try to bring her around to the front so I can give her a hug she resists....and I mean she RESISTS. She seems to find some sort of comfort having her skin touch mine. What is going on here? Is she fulfilling some sort of "need" she did not receive as a baby? Is this her way of loving me without fully committing herself to me as her mom?

As we watch her transform from the scared, sad little girl I brought home almost 3 months ago, I can't help but wonder just how deep the wounds to her heart actually were. I pray she is in the process of healing her broken heart and these "touching" episodes are her way of slowly, letting herself be ok. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I believe we are on a good path here. I think Desi knows that she is loved, that we take good care of her, that she is a part of our family and she is home. For good. With tons of prayer, it appears that our precious daughter may be beginning to see a future even though she doesn't know exactly what that means.

Thank you Father for bringing Desi into our family and for helping her heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment